From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Clusters on Gentoo ?
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 10:34:35
1 On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 5:34 AM, J. Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Monday, August 18, 2014 10:53:51 AM Alec Ten Harmsel wrote:
3 >> On Mon 18 Aug 2014 10:50:23 AM EDT, Rich Freeman wrote:
4 >> > Hadoop is a very specialized tool. It does what it does very well,
5 >> > but if you want to use it for something other than map/reduce then
6 >> > consider carefully whether it is the right tool for the job.
7 >>
8 >> Agreed; unless you have decent hardware and can comfortably measure
9 >> your data in TB, it'll be quicker to use something else once you factor
10 >> in the administration time and learning curve.
11 >
12 > The benefit of clustering technologies is that you don't need high-end
13 > hardware to start with. You can use the old hardware you found collecting dust
14 > in the basement.
15 >
16 > The learning curve isn't as steep as it used to be. There are plenty of tools
17 > to make it easier to start using Hadoop.
20 As long as you're counting words and don't mind coding everything in Java. :)
21
22 I found that if you want to avoid using Java, then the available
23 documentation plummets, and I'm pretty sure the version I was
24 attempting to use was buggy - it was losing records in the sort/reduce
25 phase I believe. Or perhaps I was just using it incorrectly, but the
26 same exact code worked just fine when I ran it on a single host with a
27 smaller dataset and just piped map | sort | reduce without using
28 Hadoop. The documentation was pretty sparse on how to get Hadoop to
29 work via stdin/out with non-Java code and it is quite possible I
30 wasn't quite doing things right. In the end my problem wasn't big
31 enough to necessitate using Hadoop and I used GNU parallel instead.
34 Rich