From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo VMWare image works on Intel but not AMD. Are they not interchangeable?
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 13:11:01
1 On Tuesday 06 February 2007, Andrey Gerasimenko wrote:
2 > On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:27:01 +0300, Alan McKinnon
3 >
4 > <alan@××××××××××××××××.za> wrote:
5 > > ....
6 > >
7 > >> Does the host CPU make a difference? I thought it was all
8 > >> emulated? I tried to recompile the kernel with the generic '386
9 > >> CPU settings and removed all power mgmt etc, and the same issue
10 > >> happens.
11 > >
12 > > The host CPU shouldn't make a difference as a VMWare .vmx is
13 > > supposed to work the same on all hosts. However, the VMWare version
14 > > in use on your friend's machine might be broken on AMD, or he has
15 > > done something dumb.
16 >
17 > No, it does make difference. The guest OS uses the same CPU as the
18 > host, with the exception of the number of available cores. If there
19 > are 2 or more cores on the host, including virtual ones through
20 > multithreading, the guest may use 1 or 2 cores. If the host has only
21 > one core, the guest must be configured to use only one.
24 Ah, this does make sense.
25
26 Daevid, you say you use a P4,a nd your friend is AMD. Does he perhaps
27 have an AMD64 or AMD dual core machine?
28
29 alan
32 Optimists say the glass is half full,
33 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
34 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
35
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
38 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
39 --
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list