From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem trying to play sound when pulse audio is enabled
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 03:27:34
1 On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 7:56 PM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >> > Hi. I have not used pulseaudio at all, but with gnome 3.8 I guess it
6 >> > must be there, but when I try to play a sound using either mplayer from
7 >> > the console which works fine withalsa, or even aplay, I get no sound
8 >> > unless I change the /etc/pulse/client.conf to spawn=no .
9 >>
10 >> Unless you have a very specific setup, you should not need to touch
11 >> the files under /etc/pulse. Also, are you trying to run the
12 >> system-wide PulseAudio service? Because that's basically wrong:
13 >>
14 >> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/WhatIsWrongWithSystemWide
15 >>
16 >> > Anyway to fix this?
17 >>
18 >> If you are running PA as a normal user (as you should), then perhaps
19 >> the per-application volume for MPlayer is muted. While playing
20 >> something with MPlayer, go to Settings -> Sound, then select the
21 >> Applications tab, and there should be a volume slider for all the
22 >> applications using audio. Just adjust as necessary.
23 >
24 > I got no sound when pa was run as a user. I am running these apps from
25 > the console -- apps such as aplay or anything which uses alsa. So I
26 > can't adjust any volumes under gnome, etc.
27
28 Also, from the console you can use pactl. To play a sample sound there, do:
29
30 pactl play-sample 0
31 pactl play-sample 1
32
33 It should work. You can also set the volume from here:
34
35 pactl set-sink-volume 0 "100%"
36
37 0 is usually the "master" volume.