From: Roy Wright <roy@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] kernel install question
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 22:13:52
1 Howdy,
2
3 Setting up a new system and want to do the simple grub setup where I
4 have grub menu of:
5
6 * Current Gentoo Kernel (/boot/vmlinuz)
7 * Previous Gentoo Kernel (/boot/vmlinuz.old)
8 * Gentoo 2.6.28-r1 (/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1)
9
10 Then when I rebuild the kernel I can use the following command:
11
12 $ make && make modules_install && make install
13
14 The make install should handle moving /boot/vmlinuz to /boot/vmlinuz.old
15 and copying the current image to /boot/vmlinuz.
16
17 I found what I think is the instructions I used before:
18
19 http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/Kernel/Installing
20
21 which basically say to emerge debianutils
22
23 The problem I'm seeing is that "make install" is including the version
24 number in the vmlinuz filenames:
25
26 # ls -1 /boot
27 System.map-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
28 System.map-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old
29 boot
30 config-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
31 config-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old
32 grub
33 vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1
34 vmlinuz-2.6.28-gentoo-r1.old
37 Any ideas or better instructions for getting the versionless vmlinuz files?
40 TIA,
41 Roy