From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new installation (ssd, new udev, grub2)
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 18:26:43
1 On Fri, Aug 10 2012, Paul Hartman wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> You also don't need an IO scheduler - ssd access is random like
5 >> RAM, no heads moving in and out so no sector ordering to worry about.
6 >> Configure the scheduler as NOOP in kernel config if all drives are ssd's
7 >
8 > I've read some contradictory reports about the best scheduler for SSD.
9 > Apparently some SSD controllers are tuned for sequential reads/writes
10 > (drives that lean heavily on compression, I would imagine?) and for
11 > those drives cfq or deadline may be the better choice. I would try
12 > them all and use whatever works best for your workload.
13
14 I see. Thanks.
15 allan