From: Harm Geerts <harmgeerts@××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can someone please explain to me why these bugs are duplicates?
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 01:59:36
1 On Thursday 08 February 2007, Daevid Vincent wrote:
2 > I run a mixed environment of stable and testing -- as do most people. Often
3 > I run a testing (~x86) package b/c I need a feature that isn't available
4 > in the stable version. I would prefer to be all stable, but life is not so
5 > kind in the land of Gentoo. And marking packages stable with any regularity
6 > seems to be an exercise in patience and nagging and bug requests and
7 > waiting and ...
8 >
9 > So then when I do an "emerge world", there are sometimes hundreds of
10 > packages. All nickel and diming me to death. Like a -r1 -r2 -r3... Or a
11 > v1.0.1 v1.0.2 etc. All these little incremental ones that are mostly due to
12 > them being in testing. I really don't give a rat's ass about them and don't
13 > want to spend days compiling things just for one tiny little bug fix, or an
14 > ebuild fix or whatever else causes a version bump.
15 >
16 > Therefore, if I could easily look and see a flag saying, "Hey! This package
17 > is now stable and is equal to or newer than the testing version you've got
18 > installed". I would be more inclined to upgrade to it, and simultaneously
19 > remove the /etc/portage/package.mask entry so I can therefore continue to
20 > be stable until the next "must have" feature in some package.
21
22 Instead of keywording a package you should keyword a specific version
23 (including a revision if you will)
24 This way there will be no upgrades unless that package goes stable.
25
26 The tools are there, you just haven't used them correctly :)
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list