From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: --depclean wants to remove openrc. Yikes!
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 22:59:16
1 On Thu, Jul 29, 2021 at 5:38 PM Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > My understanding is that qmali contains a "daemon" which does not
6 > daemonize itself. To my knowledge, you can start such a thing
7 > only with daemontools and systemd; probably the start-daemon of
8 > openrc is not powerful enough for this.
9
10 I imagine you could just run it under nohup or even screen. There are
11 a couple of solutions.
12
13 > > Second, it sounds like daemontools requires openrc to run.
14 >
15 > No. As I mentioned in another post, systems can run even without
16 > any init-system
17
18 I didn't say that systems require a service manager. (I'm assuming
19 that is what you mean by an "init-system.")
20
21 I said that daemontools apparently requires openrc, at least in its
22 default config. That wasn't really my original claim - others pointed
23 this out earlier in the thread.
24
25 > By the same argument you have given above, a dependency of
26 > daemontools on some other init system (even a || dependency)
27 > is questionable.
28
29 That is reasonable. However, at this point I'd really question
30 whether it then belongs in the service manager virtual. If it needs
31 to be run by some other service manager, then is it really acting as
32 "THE" service manager? If it requires some other service manager,
33 then it clearly doesn't make sense to have portage uninstall EVERY
34 other service manager on the system if it is installed, because that
35 basically guarantees that it doesn't work.
36
37 I'm not an expert in daemontools and it sounds like it is fairly out
38 of date in any case, as is qmail. However, it seems like the
39 dependency situation is inconsistent at best. I'm not going to say
40 WHICH solution is most appropriate, but it seems like just about any
41 of them would have prevented this from happening...
44 Rich