From: konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 5
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 03:52:21
1 On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 1:30 AM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > It looks as if in the near future I am going to have to install KDE 5 ,
3 > if I want to go on using my regular daily apps Konsole Gwenview Okular ;
4 > yes, I know I can limit exposure to their requirements
5 > & don't need to install the whole desktop system.
6 >
7 > Before I plunge into that, is anyone else using KDE 5 every day ?
8 > What are people's experiences with it ?
9
10 I just installed KDE 5 in order to try how one application works on
11 it, and also due to my curiosity. The applications that depend on it:
12 konsole and dolphin, doesn't work well if KDE5 is not itself the one
13 that's running. In dolphin, some icons don't show. konsole also
14 doesn't show some icons when it uses them as its own icon. It seems
15 to be like a problem with rendering stuff that require some services
16 running. This happened before and after I changed appearance
17 settings. I even cleared cache and stuff. Firefox seems to have been
18 affected by it as well. It doesn't show the scroll bar button, and
19 some widget borders looked a little different. Perhaps this is also
20 just about Gtk3, but I'm not sure about it since stuff work when KDE
21 itself is running.
22
23 KDE5 or Plasma itself seems to have gotten much more responsive and
24 faster compared to the last time it was in 4, but I still find XFCE4
25 easier to configure to appear and work the way I want a desktop
26 environment should.
27
28 I just downgraded konsole and dolphin for now, and also rebuilt
29 firefox with gtk2.
32 konsolebox