From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Comparing RAID5/6 rebuild times, SATA vs SAS vs SSD
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 16:56:55
1 On 2013-09-20 6:43 PM, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > A couple weeks ago one of the drives died. I hot-swap replaced it with
3 > a new one (with no down-time) and the rebuild took exactly 10 hours.
4 >
5 > Under normal operation, the speed of the array for contiguous
6 > read/writes is about 600MB/sec, which is faster than my SSD (single
7 > drive, not RAIDed).
8
9 Thanks...
10
11 But... RAID read/writes under normal operating conditions has nothing
12 whatsoever to do with REBUILD speeds/times.
13
14 Again, the reason I'm interested in this is, if the rebuild times are
15 'blindingly fast' (as compared to the times for SATA or even fast SAS
16 drives - ie, 1 hour vs your 10 hours)), then maybe a RAID6 with SSDs is
17 back in the realm of doable, since you don't lose 50% of available
18 storage with RAID6...