From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: aligning SSD partitions
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 23:12:10
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 16:09:12 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Reading the tarball has nothing to do with this, we are discussing
5 >>> filesystems for PORTAGE_TMPDIR, not DISTDIR. It's where the source is
6 >>> unpacked, the object files compiled to, the executables linked to and
7 >>> the install image created that is relevant to TMPDIR.
8 >> Well, on my system, when I run emerge, it has to go read the tarball
9 >> from the drive before it can unpack and do all the rest that needs to be
10 >> done.
11 > Of course, but it is reading from a different filesystem that is
12 > unaffected by your choice for $PORTAGE_TMPDIR. It has about as much
13 > relevance as the brand of mouse you are using.
18 But whether it is on tmpfs or just regular memory doesn't matter. Once
19 emerge starts, everything is in ram including portages work directory
20 which would be on tmpfs here. That's why it doesn't matter if portage
21 is on tmpfs or not. Once emerge loads up the files, it's the same
22 thing. That's why using tmpfs doesn't matter. I knew that the whole
23 time. The amount of ram on a system doesn't matter either. If you have
24 a system that doesn't have a lot of ram, then you can't really use tmpfs
25 anyway. That is not something I would recommend to anyone.
26
27 I just don't agree that one should *disable* cache to run the test since
28 no one would disable cache on a normal system. It's not a memory speed
29 test. It's a test to see if putting it on tmpfs makes it faster. The
30 fact that emerge loads everything up in memory when it starts is not
31 relevant for what I am testing. It does that on its own anyway.
32
33 Since portage and the kernel does this in the most efficient way
34 already, I still say putting portage's work directory on tmpfs is not
35 needed UNLESS a person needs to save wear and tear on a drive, such as
36 the SSD in this thread. I just don't want someone that is sort of new
37 to Gentoo and compiling things to think that a package that takes 10
38 minutes when done on disk will take 3 minutes when on tmpfs. I see that
39 thinking from time to time, usually on the forums.
40
41 Dale
42
46 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!