From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: soliciting a DHCP lease / carrier lost
Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2017 20:25:34
1 On 04/05/2017 12:22 PM, Kai Krakow wrote:
2 > Am Wed, 5 Apr 2017 09:40:32 -0600
3 > schrieb thelma@×××××××××××.com:
4 >
5 [snip]
6 >>
7 >> The problem with the cable was incorrect cross-over, the cable was
8 >> installed by a contractor few years back and terminated by them.
9 >>
10 >> When I initially tested the cable with cable tester one end was
11 >> connected to a switch I connected the tester to another and all the
12 >> lights were working in order. Wrong assumption.
13 >> The switch will respond to any ping and give a false readout.
14 >
15 > May I suggest that you use the active part of the tester always on the
16 > side where the switch would be connected? This sorts out such
17 > problems. ;-)
18
19 I think this cable tester was only designed to work with passive
20 receiver (that came with it) on the other end.
21 Using active part with switch doesn't give meaningful reading, it only
22 confirm that that are no broken wires inside.
25 >> I suppose to connect one end to transmitter and the other end to the
26 >> receiver (that came with it) and I've noticed incorrect order.
27 >> From Left:
28 >> Orange/White
29 >> Orange
30 >> Blue/Stripe
31 >> Blue
32 >> Green/Stripe
33 >> Green
34 >> Brown/Strip
35 >> Brown
36 >>
37 >> Re-termination fixed the problem.
38 >
39 > Good that you found it. Does it work correctly now?
40
41 It was late last night, so I didn't have a chance to test it, but will
42 do it this week.
45 Thelma