From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Recommendations for scheduler
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 09:28:10
1 On 01/08/2014 23:02, Martin Vaeth wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> But cron has only one event trigger: wall-clock time. And it's a very
5 >> blunt weapon. I'm looking for recommendations of alternative schedulers
6 >> that satisfy real-world business needs that need some other event
7 >> trigger than what the time is right now.
8 >
9 > I had a similar need recently, and since the discussion in
10 >
11 > https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-992780-highlight-.html
12
13 Interesting thread :-)
14
15 Conceptually, your needs are the same as mine - sequence defined by
16 something other than wall-clock time.
17 The responders there do the same thing as I experience - tunnel vision
18 with regard to cron. Sysadmins are used to cron and sadly most of us
19 want to ram a purely cron-based solution into places where it most
20 certainly does not belong.
21
22 Business rules very seldom fit easily into a cron model, they usually
23 rely on a defined sequence
27 > had led to nothing satisfactory for me, I have written a
28 > scheduler tool which serves my needs
29 > (which might very well differ from yours...):
30 >
31 > The corresponding tool is still in beta testing phase:
32 > https://github.com/vaeth/schedule/
33 >
34 > You can install it from the mv overlay (available over layman).
35
36 Nice, thanks for the link :-)
37
38 Now I have two projects to evaluate.