From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: whats a good laptop for gentoo these days?
Date: Sun, 09 Jan 2022 23:53:54
1 On 10/1/22 00:26, Jack wrote:
2 > On 1/9/22 07:49, William Kenworthy wrote:
3 >> My MS surface pro4 has died (swelling battery has popped the screen -
4 >> known problem) so I am looking for a better replacement. I bought it
5 >> new years ago but it only got good Linux support (touchscreen etc.)
6 >> in the last couple of years so its been a bit frustrating.
7 >>
8 >> So the question is - whats a good replacement?  Criteria is good
9 >> battery life, can dual boot windows (this is my only windows machine
10 >> these days and there are still some cases - Logitech harmony remote
11 >> for one) and gentoo with everything working/supported.  I do like the
12 >> tablet with detachable physical keyboard design but I mostly use it
13 >> with keyboard attached.  And non-microsoft hardware is preferred (the
14 >> sp4 failure is a design issue for which MS suffered a class action
15 >> lawsuit to get them to honour the warranty - I don't want a repeat)
16 >>
17 >> BillK
18 >
19 > Do you really need/want dual boot, or would Windows in a VM work?
20 >
21 No, has to be a hardware install.  Trying to do usb flashing using vm's
22 (which I have) has not worked well. (logitech harmony, bluefin, ...)
23
24 BillK