From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: justin <jlec@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] using icc with portage
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2011 08:06:33
1 Am 2011-09-07 07:19, schrieb justin:
2 > On 9/5/11 11:43 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Anyone else using Intel's compiler, icc?
5 >
6 > Hi Stefan,
7 >
8 > try to stick to gcc as most pacakges will compile with it.
9 >
10 > I personally use icc/ifort for some sience packages and see
11 > speedups of calculation between 2-25x depending on the *FLAGS. But
12 > this needs much optimization of the flags. Nevertheless interesting
13 > for performance critical apps.
14 >
15 > Another compiler which was recently released after a long time as
16 > closed source app into the open source world is the ekopath
17 > compiler suite (ekopath(-bin) and path64) which proofed to have the
18 > best optimization of all compilers in benchmarks. But same as icc,
19 > it might not work with some packages.
20 >
21 > And never use it with the kernel.
22
23 Thanks to both of you (Justin, Tamer).
24
25 All this doesn't answer my question, but OK, I will find my way ...
26
27 Greets, Stefan