From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] locale settings
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 14:55:02
1 On Wednesday 04 October 2006 15:53, Stefán István wrote:
2 > Yes, I've read it but my filenames are encoded with iso8859-2 (or at least
3 > I think so), and I dont want to change them to utf-8. At least not yet. How
4 > can I determine the character encoding of an existing filename?
5
6 The whole point of unicode is that you cannot autodetect the encoding of a
7 filename (or file). With unicode you can use one encoding for everything and
8 hence you don't have to autodetect it.... You can use app-text/convmv to
9 convert your file names between two different encodings. If you run it
10 without the --notest parameter it will only show you what would happen if you
11 make said conversion. By inspecting the output of that you should be able to
12 figure it out but I don't think there is any automatic way of doing it...
15 Bo Andresen