From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: reiserfsprogs
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 04:03:06
1 Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann <at> tu-clausthal.de> writes:
4 > > > I've never seen starting up X/kde cause a system to hang before...
5
6 > > Is the whole system handing, or just X?
9 The entire system latches up tight, even the ssh remote shells and console.
10
11 > > Do you have a networked computer
12 > > you can SSH in from, that would enable you to kill X.
13
14 I start X(kde) with startx. I followed the guides in
15 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/list.xml
16
17 Code Listing 2.4: Configuring your local session
18 $ echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc
19
20 X/kde runs fine, but when I exit it now, the system latches up, tight
21 all ssh sessions, the console, everything.
25 > > If all else fails,
26 > > and provided you have enabled CONFIG_MAGIC_SYSRQ in your kernel, hold
27 > > down Alt and SysReq/PrtScr and press S, U and B in turn to reboot
28 > > (reasonably) cleanly. Pausing a couple of seconds between each key is
29 > > probably a good idea.
30
31 Interesting idea however this laptop does not have this key "SysReq/PrtScr".
35 > E, I, S, U, B
36
37 > so everything is killed, and nothing trying to write to disk, when unmounting
38 > them.
41 Hmm, I do not think you understand, when I exit X/kde the entire system is
42 latched up tight. None of the keys work, nothing is echoed to the screen,
43 the system is latched up tight. All I can do is power cycle the system.
44 When I do that the screen fades and the mouse cursor is visible but slowly
45 fades to a solid white screen. The system hangs at the very moment I use
46 the logout button in kde, to exit the system.
47
48 Very strange and very repeatable.....
49
50 maybe emerge --emptytree world?
51
52 revdep-rebuild -p is fine.
53
54 I am clueless how to fix this... ideas?
57 James
62 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list