From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/machine-id ???
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 22:37:53
1 Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> [11-06-23 17:52]:
2 > On Thursday 23 June 2011 04:49:57 meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > I found a file /etc/machine-id on my linux box.
6 > > I did a qfile for this and nothing was found.
7 > >
8 > > What purpose is that file and can I delete it without problems?
9 > >
10 > > Best regards,
11 > > mcc
12 >
13 > I don't have that file on any of my machines, however, a quick google reveals
14 > this may be related to dbus:
15 >
16 > http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2011-March/014188.html
17 >
18 > Maybe someone else can shed some more light on this?
19 >
20 > --
21 > Joost
24 I dont like the idea of haveing something on my box, which make it
25 identificable or unique ... thinking of the diskussion of the use
26 and misuse of a CPU-ID.
27 Reading /dev/urandom instead is more what it should be in my opinion,
28 since that changes from boot to boot...
29
30 Paranoia is your best friend.... ;-/
31
32 mcc