From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo Users <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] time to build a new machine ?
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 10:12:21
1 > On 2021-09-24, at 05:58, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > While I was asleep yesterday, my machine reported on all 3 Konsoles :
4 >
5 > Message from syslogd@ at Thu Sep 23 19:38:11 2021 ...
6 > : mce: [Hardware Error]: CPU 0: Machine Check: 0 Bank 4: 9d0b4c16001d011b
7 >
8 > Message from syslogd@ at Thu Sep 23 19:38:11 2021 ...
9 > : mce: [Hardware Error]: TSC 0 ADDR 19e617980 MISC c01a000001000000
10 >
11 > Message from syslogd@ at Thu Sep 23 19:38:11 2021 ...
12 > : mce: [Hardware Error]: PROCESSOR 2:600f20 TIME 1632440315 SOCKET 0 APIC 0 microcode 6000822
13 >
14 > -- end of report --
15 >
16 > I don't remember seeing this before : how concerned should I be ?
17
18 From the manpage:
19
20 Most errors can be corrected by the CPU by internal error correction mechanisms. Uncorrected
21 errors cause machine check exceptions which may kill processes or panic the machine. A small
22 number of corrected errors is usually not a cause for worry, but a large number can indicate
23 future failure.
24
25 When an uncorrected machine check error happens that the kernel cannot recover from then it
26 will usually panic the system. In this case when there was a warm reset after the panic
27 mcelog should pick up the machine check errors after reboot. This is not possible after a
28 cold reset.
29
30 If you are overclocking, try disabling it.