From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to prevent a dns amplification attack
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 16:07:06
1 On Mar 28, 2013 10:38 PM, "Michael Mol" <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 03/28/2013 04:51 AM, Norman Rieß wrote:
4 > > Hello,
5 > >
6 > > i am using pdns recursor to provide a dns server which should be usable
7 > > for everybody.The problem is, that the server seems to be used in dns
8 > > amplification attacks.
9 > > I googled around on how to prevent this but did not really find
10 > > something usefull.
11 > >
12 > > Does anyone got an idea about this?
13 >
14 > I'm not sure it can be done. You can't make a resolver available to
15 > "everybody" without somebody in that "everybody" group abusing it, and
16 > that's exacly what happens in a DNS amplification attack.
17 >
18 > Restrict your resolver to be accessible only to your network or, at
19 > most, those of the specific group of people you're seeking to help.
20 >
21 > You *might* try restricting the resolver to only respond to TCP requests
22 > rather than UDP requests, but if the resolver sends response data along
23 > with that first SYN+ACK, then nothing is solved, and you've opened
24 > yourself up to a SYN flood-based DoS attack. (OTOH, if your resolver
25 > went offline as a result of a SYN flood, at least it wouldn't be part of
26 > an amplification attack any longer...)
29 Can't we rate limit UDP DNS request?
30
31 E.g., limit each source IP to, let's say, 1 UDP per second?
32
33 That should be doable easily using iptables.
34
35 Rgds,