From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: gcc upgrade
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 19:48:23
1 On Monday 12 July 2010 10:18:48 ZekeyG@×××××.com wrote:
2 > In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 10 July 2010 02:57:42 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 > >> On 07/10/2010 04:16 AM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
5 > >> > Hello,
6 > >> >
7 > >> > I just updated the portage tree and gcc was upgraded. I have set gcc
8 > >> > to the newer version
9 > >> >
10 > >> > -> gcc-config -l
11 > >> >
12 > >> > [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.4
13 > >> > [2] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.3 *
14 > >> >
15 > >> > and I am trying to rebuild the whole system with
16 > >> >
17 > >> > emerge -e system
18 > >> > emerge -e world
19 > >> >
20 > >> > assuming this all goes without trouble (will take a while), should I
21 > >> > unmerge version 4.3.4?
22 > >>
23 > >> There's no reason to. Unless you don't need it anymore.
24 > >
25 > > And why is the OP rebuilding world at all? There's no reason to do that
26 > > either, there's no API/ABI break between 4.3.4 and 4.3.3
27 >
28 > The difference is between 4.3.4 and 4.4.3, not 4.3.3.
29
30 Typo.
31
32 > Gentoo has the new GCC slotted and the handbook
33
34 Of course is slotted. gcc has been slotted since the dawn of time so that you
35 can install mutiple compilers and use any one you feel like at any point.
36 Tools exists to switch the current compiler in use
37
38 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
39 >
40 > Suggests emerge -e system and emerge -e world in the "General Upgrade
41 > Instructions.
42
43 It "suggests", it does not say it is mandatory with description of why.
44
45 Periodically on this list this topic comes up and we re-hash again, for the
46 unmpteenth time, why the docs are misleading. That doc was apparently written
47 by someone who was looking for ways to minimize the amount of mail he gets. If
48 he says to rebuild system and world, then most of the questions he gets asked
49 just go away. Can't fault the dev for that....
50
51 This is all in the mail archives. Most of the whinging done by me actually
52
53 > If you think the handbook is wrong or my interpretation of it wrong
54 > then *please* tell me. I would prefer *not* to go through this nightmare
55 > whenever GCC does a major version bump.
56
57 You do not have to do what the handbook tells you, you just have to realise
58 what the handbook hopes to achieve. As hinted above, the intended result
59 appears to be least hassle for the gentoo devs and document writers with
60 maximal guarantee that your box will work afterwards regardless fo how long it
61 takes or number of cpu cycles burnt. It's not necessarily the most convenient
62 way.
63
64 I have not had to rebuild world due to a compiler upgrade since sometime
65 around the late 3 series (there was a C++ ABI change).
68 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com