From: Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Per-process-tree memory quotas?
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 03:24:11
1 Hey, guys I'm having trouble here. =\
4 1. I have a stupifyingly vast amount of memory (32GB)
5 2. I'm hitting swap with nothing but a few browser windows with maybe a
6 dozen tabs each, libreoffice, and maybe 6 console windows. I should not
7 be using more than 2.5gb ram right now but I'm using 14.6gb, not
8 counting cache.
11 The two major culprits are the web browsers, seamonkey and Chromium...
12 They are absolutely out of control preventing me from running more
13 interesting applications on my machine. I have one code that does number
14 theory but it needs 25gb of ram to run, I can't run it now with these
15 goddamned web browsers eating ram like it's free. I would like to
16 establish hard memory quotas for the entire process tree of each of them
17 to 2.5gb.
18
19 How do I do this?
23 Please report bounces from this address to atg@×××××××××.com