From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] openpty() failing with UNIX98 ptys
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 02:51:46
1 On Sunday 27 January 2013 04:46:22 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > At some point recently, one of my systems has begun having problems
3 > allocating pseudo-terminals via the UNIX98 pty scheme. I am using the
4 > same kernel configuration I've had for years, and running the latest
5 > ~amd64 version of all the relevant packages. The problem manifests
6 > itself on any program that attempts to allocate a pseudo-terminal,
7 > including portage and openssh. I first noticed the problem when I could
8 > no longer ssh into the server because it would not allocate a pty.
9 >
10 > I have the latest udev installed, and udev-mount is running on boot. Both
11 > /dev and /dev/pts are mounted, and /dev/ptmx exists and is
12 > world-readable:
13
14 What does 'grep devtmpfs /etc/fstab' reveal? (Long shot - I misread the
15 latest news article and changed one of the tmpfs fields to devtmpfs and got
16 similar results to what you describe.)
19 Peter