From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How the HAL are you supposed to use these files?
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 17:09:43
1 On Sonntag 14 Februar 2010, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 > Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Sonntag 14 Februar 2010, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
4 > >> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
5 > >>> so how do you propose that a network connection manager tells
6 > >>> a broweser or mail app that they are offline?
7 > >>
8 > >> use the filesystem ?
9 > >>
10 > >> guess what: I've got a filesystem (a tiny 9p server) which even
11 > >> lets me control the network interfaces.
12 > >>
13 > >>
14 > >> cu
15 > >
16 > > great for you. And how portable is your little solution?
17 >
18 > On the front side, very portable *and* network agnostic. You can
19 > reach the server from practically anywhere (assuming fw allows it)
20 > as long as you can access 9P fileservers (in theory it should also
21 > be re-exportable through other network filesystems, even i didn
22 > try it yet ;-o).
23 >
24 > The backend side (the actual interface controll stuff) yet is
25 > linux-specific, but it can be easily adapted to other platforms.
26
27 don't waste your time - dbis is already there...