From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kde-meta minus toys, games, etc
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 23:13:43
1 On 02/06/06, Peter Kelly <linuxpete@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > > Install kdebase-meta, kdeutils-meta, kdeadmin-meta, etc.
4 >
5 > Forgive my own ignorance, but what is the advantage to doing this over
6 > kdebase, kdeutils, kdeadmin, etc?
7 >
8 > I've got plenty of disk space, so I never bothered moving away from the
9 > monolithic builds. emerge kde worked better for me than emerge kde-meta,
10 > which brought in all the same binaries. I know it's much faster to update a
11 > particular package as opposed to kdepim (or kdenetwork, or kdemultimedia),
12 > but that's not really an issue for me.
13 >
14 > I really don't want to start a war, but I don't understand why the OP didn't
15 > just
16 > # emerge -C kdetoys kdegames kdeedu
17 >
18 > (with any required version numbers) and be done with it. Not having removed
19 > kde packages, I'm not sure that would work. But something along those lines
20 > should have solved his problem.
21
22 Yes it would (more or less). If I remember right, last time I tried
23 unmerging kdetoys it would return everytime I did an emerge -u. That
24 was a couple of years ago, before /etc/portage/* appeared. Now, I
25 thought that sooner or later monolithic KDE will be deprecated and so
26 I decided to eventually bite the bullet and move onto the split
27 ebuilds on this occasion.
28 --
29 Regards,
30 Mick