From: Neal Hogan <nealhogan@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Mythtv ATSC WinTV 1600
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 19:54:19
1 On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 8:17 PM, Neal Hogan<nealhogan@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I hope you receive the stuff below with a grain of appreciation. I've
3 > asked for help on the mythtv forum, but have yet to get it.
6 > I recently acquired a new Hauppauge WinTV 1600 and have successfully
7 > gotten the analog side working with the analog channels (1-99). That
8 > is, I can plug my (Comcast) cable from the wall to the tuner card's
9 > analog input and get the basic cable channels.
10 >
11 > However, the whole reason for getting tv tuner card and mythtv was to
12 > record japanTV, which is beyond channel 99 and requires a set top box
13 > to watch it on the TV. I've read the installation instructions for the
14 > ATSC input of the card but I'm having problems and am aware of the IR
15 > blaster option.
16 >
17 > I suppose the main problem . . . the one causing the other problems
18 > like not getting any channels is that mythtv is not "seeing" my card.
19 > When I go to configure the capture card there is not DVB DTV card type
20 > offered, which suggests to me that card is not being "seen."
21 >
22 > Suggestions?
25 First, I want to apologize for the double post the other day. I, for
26 some reason, had forgotten that I'd already posted the day before.
27
28 Anyway, my situation is much better. I am able to capture japanTV. The
29 thing is that I'm not sure how. Here is what I did.
30
31 1) Connected the tuner card's analog side to the cable box/set-top-box.
32
33 2) Set the cable box to japanTV (in this case, channel 674)
34
35 3) Attempted to gather channels at mythtv-setup, which it did . . . a
36 handful (16,17,18,19, etc).
37
38 4) Just to see what channels it claimed to have found, I started
39 recording 1 minute bits of each.
40
41 5) To my surprise, tuner card channels 17,18, and 19 captured japanTV
42 with varying degrees of quality (18 being the best).
43
44 So, for now I feel better because I can put this project down for a
45 while. I guess part of my confusion comes from the fact that I didn't
46 set the tuner channel like I would the TV (channel 3). Although,
47 japanTV seems to be the only thing getting though.