From: Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED BUT] *** urgent *** root needs non existing service 'fsck'
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 17:11:22
1 On 03/19/2012 03:54:35 PM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > suddenly might Gentoo system doesn't boot anymore, not normally, at
6 > least.
7 >
8 > I get 'root' needs non existing service 'fsck' but I've no idea why.
9 >
10 > rc-update -u tells me about this, as well.
11 >
12 > reemerging linux-utils and openrc didn't help.
13 >
14 > /etc/init.d/fsck is a normal file which contents looks normally.
15 > I can invoke /sbin/fsck.
16 >
17 > I'm very grateful for any hints to get out of this,
20 By comparing my broken system to a recent backup it showed up there was
21 a new file
22 in /etc/ concerning an initramfs.
23 qfile showed that this file has been installed by genkernel.
24
25 It's unbelievable but just emerging genkernel broke my system though
26 I've never used it, yet.
27
28 Just emerge -C sys-kernel/genkernel
29 and my system was sane again.