From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: XV locks up X server after recent update
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:46:39
1 On 2007-02-23, Hamie <hamish@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >> I was bying ATI cards because the open-source driver supported
4 >> DRI (it was a bit flakey, but it mostly "just worked"). But,
5 >> that ended with the 92xx series. My experience (and the
6 >> general consensus, AFAICT) is that the NVidia closed-source
7 >> drivers are far less problematic than the ATI ones.
8 >>
9 >> I've got a 3 year old ATI card that ATI doesn't support at all
10 >> anymore with Linux drivers. I've got a 6 year old NVidia card
11 >> that still works perfectly and all I had to do is "emerge
12 >> nvidia-drivers"
13 >>
14 >> So I think NVidia is the way to go in general.
15 >>
16 >> [The problem is that you don't get much of a choice with
17 >> laptops. My IBM ThinkPad was too good a deal to pass up even
18 >> though it came with an ATI M300.]
21 > If you have anything up to X600 (Maybe even X700) graphics
22 > (basically 9600 on PCIe) then the open source drivers should
23 > work fine...
24
25 I know the OS driver is supposed to work -- and it did work for
26 a while -- at leastit worked in in a manner: the frame rates
27 weren't very good and there were a lot of noticable rendering
28 glitches.
29
30 Then one day after an "emerge update", the open source
31 driver no longer worked: any time an OpenGL program ran, the X
32 server crashed. I futzed around with the open-source DRI
33 driver for a while, but was unable to get it to work again --
34 so I gave up and switched to ATI's driver (which ATI has now
35 abandonded).
36
37 Once I get the ATI drivers to work, they seem to work well (at
38 least for me) with much higher frames rates than the
39 open-source driver and no noticable rendering problems.
40
41 > Mine is an X1400 sadly, so I don't even get LCD native
42 > resolution without the damned ATI drivers (Because it's flakey
43 > as hell with their DRI, and suspend to RAM doesn't work...
44 > Still... So why even bother).
45
46 Next time I'm picking NVidia if I can...
49 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I want to kill
50 at everyone here with a cute
51 visi.com colorful Hydrogen Bomb!!
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list