From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [SOLVED] synaptic touchpad stopped scrolling!
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 03:24:51
1 j.romildo@×××××.com wrote:
2 > On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:14:51PM +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
3 >> Hi,
4 >>
5 >> I can't live without my touchpad extentions (scrolling, tap to click,
6 >> etc). All provided somehow by the synaptics driver, but I've never
7 >> really looked into how.
8 >>
9 >> Recently I noticed it stopped working but I don't know what I've changed
10 >> as I've been docked for so long with a usb mouse.
11
12 [snip]
13
14 > Yesterday I was just looking for a solution to this same problem on my
15 > notebook.
16 >
17 > I have found out that synaptics now defaults to dual finger scrolling
18 > (see the man mage), and tap to click is off by default. I have added the
19 > following in my configuration file:
20
21 hm, I don't like it when defaults change so dramatically! So the
22 problem wasn't evdev / hal related. Why on earth would tap to click be
23 turned off by default now?
24
25 Two finger scrolling was on, but "broken" on the new synaptic driver, as
26 every time I scroll up, then lift my finger off, it scrolls down further
27 than I can scroll up!
28
29 Even the acceleration had changed to make it unusable. I've left the
30 evdev mouse driver as a second mouse to catch all usb mice, and I have
31 my touchpad as the default:
32
33 Section "InputDevice"
34 Identifier "Synaptic Touchpad"
35 Driver "synaptics"
36 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
37 Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
38 Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
39
40 # turn on finger tap:
41 Option "TapButton1" "1" # Left button
42
43 # don't use two finger scrolling:
44 Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "false"
45 Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "false"
46
47 # use edge scroll areas:
48 Option "VertEdgeScroll" "true"
49 Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "true"
50
51 #continue scrolling when touchpad end reached
52 Option "CornerCoasting" "true"
53 Option "CoastingSpeed" "2"
54
55 #set speed and accel:
56 Option "MinSpeed" "0.20"
57 Option "MaxSpeed" "0.60"
58 Option "AccelFactor" "0.020"
59 EndSection
60
61 Note I only used TapButton1, not 2 and 3, as I want to double tap for a
62 double click, not double tap for a midle/right click.
63
64 thanks for all the suggestions!
68 Binary, adj.:
69 Possessing the ability to have friends of both sexes.