From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Advice for System monitor + Intrusion Detection tools?
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2010 22:27:08
1 Stroller writes:
2
3 > All I want is a simple email notification when $string appears in the
4 > log.
5 >
6 > I'm actually a little surprised that there isn't a syslogger which can
7 > parse stuff as it writes it out, and thus perform actions, such as
8 > mailing. I'm assuming there isn't, since no-one has mentioned it.
9
10 If you only neet to filter for single lines, I'd think every syslogger can
11 do this. I have this in /etc/metalog.conf:
12
13 ISDN calls :
14 facility = "kern"
15 regex = "isdn_tty: call from"
16 logdir = "/var/log/callers"
17 command = "/usr/local/sbin/ring.sh"
18
19 Password failures :
20 regex = "(password|login|authentication)\s+(fail|invalid)"
21 regex = "(failed|invalid)\s+(password|login|authentication|user)"
22 regex = "ILLEGAL ROOT LOGIN"
23 logdir = "/var/log/pwdfail"
24 # command = "/usr/local/sbin/mail_pwd_failures.sh"
25
26 The scripts get the syslog line as argument. However, the
27 mail_pwd_failures.sh script would be called twice because I get two
28 matching lines when I give a wrong password (one by pam_unix, one by
29 pam_authenticate).
30
31 Wonko