From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] blocks to fix
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:05:37
1 On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:24 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 06:46:30 +0100, Momesso Andrea wrote:
3 >
4 >> > It's a bit late now, but installing a second distro, or a bare stage 3
5 >> > gentoo, as a dual boot so you can still access the machoine if it
6 >> > breaks. As an alternative, send the user a GRML CD and get them to
7 >> > boot that if things go wrong.
8 >
9 >> There is no need to drive there or to send a cd. Even with no com_err
10 >> and no wget, you can still ssh into the machine, so scp should work too.
11 >
12 > On this occasion, yes. But as a general CYA policy, as long as the user
13 > is capable of making a selection from a boot menu, a fallback distro
14 > would be useful in this situation.
17 > --
18 > Neil Bothwick
19
20 Yes, it would be helpful. In my case it would need to be configured
21 for full ssh/noip support, and probably shouldn't be Gentoo based as
22 this selection wouldn't likely get updated very often and the now far
23 more restrictive policies on how often Gentoo has to be updated
24 probably aren't appropriate for this task.
25
26 None the less maybe a good thing for me to do would be to do an
27 install of something like this remotely, test it, and then deal with
28 system updates later.
29
30 Also, as long as ssh isn't harmed I can pretty much scp any package to
31 the machine and get it working again, albeit with some extra work.
32 Normally I already do a --fetchonly any time I'm planning on an emerge
33 -DuN world but if I forgot usually you can still make it work somehow.
34
35 Take care,
36 Mark