From: Masood Ahmed <coolmasood@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] modules built post kernel install (on the fly)
Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 15:34:52
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Is this possible:
3 >
4 > Compile a module by itself (not during kernel compile) and insert
5 > that module into a running kernel.
6
7 It can be done, the best example of it being done is the NVidia kernel
8 module. Although it seems, you want to compile a module inside a kernel
9 tree. I think it'll be lot complex. I dont have any hands on experience
10 in this, but i suggest take a look at the Makefiles of other kernel
11 modules available outside the kernel tree. Sorry cant give you specifics
12 on how to do it.
13
14 PS: Also ALSA-driver package are nothing but kernel modules, you may
15 want to check thier makefiles as well.
18 Linux Kernel : 2.6.15-gentoo-r7
19 GCC version : 4.0.2 (Gentoo 4.0.2-r3, pie-8.7.8)
20 Processor : AMD Athlon XP 2600+
21 RAM : 1 GB DDR 333 SDRAM
22 CFLAGS USED : -march=athlon-xp -O3 -m3dnow -msse -mmmx -pipe
23 -fomit-frame-pointer -momit-leaf-frame-pointer -ftracer
24 -fno-crossjumping -falign-functions=16 -falign-loops=16
25 -falign-jumps=16 -fno-align-labels -mfpmath=387,sse
26 -maccumulate-outgoing-args
27 CXXFLAGS USED : $(CFLAGS) -fvisibility-inlines-hidden