From: Juul Spies <sjakie@××××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] To x86_64 or not to x86_64
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 08:34:18
1 Anthony E. Caudel schreef:
2 > I have an AMD 64x2 that I have been using only in x86 mode since I got
3 > it. I have been thinking of going to x86_64 mode but I'm wondering if
4 > it's worth the trouble with multilib, chroot'ing, firefox-bin and other
5 > compromises (admittedly some minor). I realize I should see some speed
6 > increase but probably only in certain areas such as compiling.
7 >
8 > So, for those users who have used both, is it worth it overall?
9 >
10 I've used both and don't notice any difference for the stuff I'm using
11 my computer for.
12
13 Only 32bit application I'm using is firefox.
14
15 I'm not sure if compiling is faster because I let emerge run in the
16 background while watching a movie.
17
18 Overall it works fine for me but I don't see much difference comparing
19 my install to a 32bit install.
22 Juul Spies
23 --
24 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list