From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] RAID 1 on /boot
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:42:25
1 On Sat, February 22, 2014 06:27, Facundo Curti wrote:
2 > Hi all. I'm new in the list, this is my third message :)
3 > First at all, I need to say sorry if my english is not perfect. I speak
4 > spanish. I post here because gentoo-user-es it's middle dead, and it's a
5 > great chance to practice my english :) Now, the problem.
6
7 First of all, there are plenty of people here who don't have English as a
8 native language. Usually we manage. :)
9
10 > I'm going to get a new PC with a disc SSD 120GB and another HDD of 1TB.
11 > But in a coming future, I want to add 2 or more disks SSD.
12 >
13 > Mi idea now, is:
14 >
15 > Disk HHD: /dev/sda
16 > /dev/sda1 26GB
17 > /dev/sda2 90GB
18 > /dev/sda3 904GB
19 >
20 > Disk SSD: /dev/sdb
21 > /dev/sdb1 26GB
22 > /dev/sdb2 90GB
23 > /dev/sdb3 4GB
24 >
25 > And use /dev/sdb3 as swap. (I will add more with another SSD in future)
26 > /dev/sda3 mounted in /home/user/data (to save data unused)
27
28 Why put the swap on the SSD?
29
30 > And a RAID 1 with:
31 > md0: sda1+sdb1 /
32 > md1: sda2+sdb2 /home
33 >
34 > (sda1 and sda2 will be made with the flag: write-mostly. This is useful
35 > for
36 > disks slower).
37 > In a future, I'm going to add more SSD's on this RAID. My idea is the
38 > fastest I/O.
39 >
40 > Now. My problem/question is:
41 > Following the gentoo's
42 > doc<http://www.gentoo.org/doc/es/gentoo-x86+raid+lvm2-quickinstall.xml>,
43 > it says I need to put the flag --metadata=0.9 on the RAID. My question is
44 > ¿This will make get off the performance?.
45
46 metadata=0.9 might be necessary for the BIOS of your computer to see the
47 /boot partition. If you use an initramfs, you can use any metadata you
48 like for the root-partition.
49
50 > I only found this
51 > document<https://raid.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/RAID_superblock_formats#The_version-0.90_Superblock_Format>.
52 > This says the difference, but nothing about performance and
53 > advantages/disadvantages.
54 >
55 > Another question is, ¿GRUB2 still unsupporting metadata 1.2?
56
57 See reply from Canek.
58
59 > In case that metadata get off performance, and GRUB2 doesn't support this.
60 > ¿Anyone knows how can I fix this to use metadata 1.2?
61 >
62 > I don't partitioned more, because I saw this unnecessary. I just need to
63 > separate /home in case I need to format the system. But if I need to
64 > separate /boot to make it work, I don't have problems doing that.
65 >
66 > But of course, /boot also as RAID...
67
68 /boot seperate as RAID-1 and metadata=0.9 and you are safe.
69
70 > ¿Somebody have any ideas to make it work?
71
72 It is similar to what I do, except I don't have SSDs in my desktop.
73
74 I have 2 partitions per disk:
75 1 : /boot (mirrored, raid-1)
76 2 : LVM (striped, raid-0)
77 All other partitions (root, /usr, /home, ....) are in the LVM.
78
79 I use striping for performance reasons for files I currently work with.
80 All important data is stored and backed up on a server.
81
82 For this, an initramfs is required with support for mdraid and lvm.
83
84 > Thank you all. Bytes! ;)
85
86 You're welcome and good luck.
87
88 Please let us know what the performance is like when using the setup you
89 are thinking off.
92 Joost