From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tethering an htc incredible
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 01:03:59
1 On Mon, Jun 20 2011, stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk wrote:
2
3 > On 20 June 2011, at 21:10, Sebastian Beßler wrote:
4 >> Am 20.06.2011 22:00, schrieb Matthew Finkel:
5 >>> ...
6 >>> I took a look at some forums and articles, and it seems like in order
7 >>> to get tethering working, some people downloaded an app called PDAnet[0]
8 >>> I know stock android 2.2 supported tethering (such as on the Nexus One
9 >>> [1]), but it sounds as if htc disabled it.
10 >>
11 >> Maybe a way would be to update the Android with a Mod.
12 >> I run Cyanogenmod on my Motorola Milestone and my girlfriends HTC Tattoo
13 >> without any problems here, so I can absolutly recommend it.
14 >>
15 >> http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php?title=HTC_Incredible
16 >>
17 >> With that the wired tether app can be used
18 >>
19 >> http://code.google.com/p/android-wired-tether/
20 >>
21 >> That works flawless here in combination with Gentoo.
24 > Seb: where did you get this phone? Did you buy it outright? Did you
25 > get it from a carrier?
26
27 It is my phone that has the problem and I bought it from verizon.
28 None of the boxes are greyed out.
29
30 However, I don't see a "tethering" option. I do see a mobile broadband
31 option that seems to be tethering and I can set it. This changes the
32 "connection type" to "mobile broadband connect (share phone's mobile
33 network with the PC)".
34
35 One preliminary question remains. When you mod the linux kernel and
36 don't even have the phone plugged in (or don't even have a phone), are
37 you supposed to get the usb0 interface. I do not get such an interface,
38 which is why I suspect the problem may be on the linux end.
41 > Is it possible they disabled tethering?
42 >
43 > Although I'm sure the Cyanogenmod builds are very good, I was conservative and I installed a stock "international" HTC firmware image on my Desire after rooting it. There are official builds available that carry none of the carrier's customisations.
44 >
45 > Best bet might be the XDAdevelopers forums. It seemed like the author of the HOWTO I followed missed out parts because he was so familiar with the rooting / flashing process himself, and he didn't bother to double- and triple-check it to make sure the steps were absolutely clear and precise so they could be followed by a beginner like me. However I was able to muddle through, and it does seem like the XDAdevelopers forums are the central and complete repository of Android information. There are a lot of idiots there, too, cluttering the place up with dumb questions, so that does make information harder to find, but if you read thoroughly you will probably be able to find if your carrier has applied any restrictions (such as this) to your handset.
46 >
47 > Even though I paid (practically) full price for my Desire, it featured the carrier branding and customisations. It came with the 2.1 firmware and tethering was disabled with a greyed out checkbox. When I installed the "official-but-rooted" 2.2 firmware the wifi tethering option was available.
48 >
49 > Stroller.
50
51 None of my boxes are grayed out.