From: Jonathan Callen <abcd@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: runlevels and service list
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 05:00:26
1 Eric Martin wrote:
2 > Actually, /bin/bash is a symlink -> /bin/dash on Ubuntu so dash (Debian
3 > ash) is the default shell on Ubuntu (and either dash or ash is on
4 > Debian). I found that out the hard way when I was scripting and some
5 > bash stuff wouldn't work properly.
8 No, /bin/bash is *always* bash on Ubuntu. You are probably thinking of
9 /bin/sh, which is required to be a POSIX-compliant shell, such as dash
10 or bash. On Ubuntu systems, /bin/sh is now provided by dash (by
11 default). Debian also changed to using dash as /bin/sh fairly recently.
14 Jonathan