From: Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I update *every* ebuild?
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:21:53
1 On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 08:48:03PM +0100, Jarry wrote:
2 > Hi Gentoo-users,
3 > I always thought the right way to update everything was:
4 >
5 > emerge --update --deep --newuse world
6 > emerge --update --deep --newuse system
7 >
8 > When I try the above mentioned, nothing to update is found.
9 > Yet when I try i.e. "emerge --pretend nasm", I see:
10 >
11 > [ebuild U ] dev-lang/nasm-2.10.05 [2.10.01]
12 >
13 > So there is apparently update for dev-lang/nasm, yet it was
14 > not pulled when I tried to update the "world" or "system".
15 > And who knows for how many other ebuilds there is update
16 > available...
17 >
18 > So how can I update really *every* ebuild?
19
20 This alias is in /root/.bashrc:
21
22 alias ud='eix-sync && emerge -aDjNuv @world && dispatch-conf && emerge -a --depclean && revdep-rebuild -i && clear && exit'
23
24 emerge -aDjNuv @world
25
26 a = ask (Yes/No prompt -- don't waste time with --pretend)
27 D = deep (consider the entire dependency tree of packages)
28 j = jobs (no number after j means to run as many simultaneously as possible)
29 N = newuse (pkgs with changed USE flags)
30 u = update (to the best version available)
31 v = verbose
32 @world = world set
33
34 "man emerge" would be very enlightening for you...
35
36 It's important to sync (eix-sync) before you start, or your local portage tree
37 won't have any new software; and equally important to check configs
38 (dispatch-conf), clean out pkgs no longer needed (--depclean), and rebuild any
39 deps (revdep-rebuild). Don' forget to read news (eselect news read).
40
41 Running this ud alias every morning with coffee on no less than 8 Gentoo boxen
42 on this LAN keeps everything updated, clean, and I'm usually one of the first
43 to find new bugs. Well, since my test machine running ~amd64 is no longer in
44 service, there are less bugs. But, still, there are enough bugs in amd64.
45
46 Cheers,
47 Bruce
48 --