From: bobwxc <bobwxc@××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Rearranging hard drives and data.
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2020 13:48:12
1 在 2020/12/19 下午9:02, Dale 写道:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > A friend donated a older PC to me the other day.  It's a fairly nice rig
5 > despite its age.  Some specs for those interested but may not matter in
6 > the end.  TL;DR, skip to next paragraph.  It's a Dell Inspiron 546.  AMD
7 > 9750 quad core CPU running at 2.4GHz.  It currently has 4GBs but
8 > planning to upgrade to 8GBs, its max.  It has a ATI Radeon HD3200 video
9 > card.  ATI is sort of new to me and it isn't very fast I'm sure but may
10 > not matter since it may not be used much.  It has a WD 640GB hard drive,
11 > blue color designation for usage.  That is more than enough space for
12 > the OS.  It also has a Realtek ethernet card.  I did some googling, it
13 > seems this is a Linux compatible system even tho it came with windoze.
14 > The power supply was replaced a few years ago.  I may buy a new one that
15 > is a little bit larger. It has a 300 watt now, a 400 watt would give
16 > some breathing room for start up power for the extra drives.  I haven't
17 > measured the wattage it pulls now.  May do that later.
18 > ...
19 Hi,
20 I think the system is enough for a basic NFS.
21 The CPU support x64 and 8Gib memory is enough. The graph card is ATI Radeon
22 HD3200 seems support UVD hardware decode for 1080p h264 video, a little poor
23 for a media system.
24
25 But the cpu power is 125W, will cost much electricity for a 24h home
26 system.
27 Using a raspberry-pi may save power, but come with poor performance,
28 also it is
29 said that the new raspberry-pi-4 has a decent performance.
30
31 If you want to get a good NFS, please pay high attention to the power
32 supply, it is
33 very important for hard disks. Power fluctuation may destroy your disk.
34 That is
35 also raspberry's weakness, it generally can't provide a stable power for
36 the disks.
37
38 I am not very familiar with LVM, let other people answer the question.
39 But I also
40 recommend that you can have a look about "btrfs" and "zfs".
41
42 Best regards.
45 bobwxc

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature