From: Michael George <george@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-amd64@l.g.o, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] X locks up
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2007 20:52:55
1 I have been having trouble with my system. For some reason, I've only
2 noticed it recently, but nothing has been updated on the system.
3
4 What happens is that sometimes (amazingly frequently) when I have open
5 office running on my right screen and I click "File", the displays will
6 freeze. The system is still running, because I can get in from one of
7 my terminals. I check and X is consuming 100% of one processor.
8
9 I can kill openoffice and ctwm (my window manager) reasily, but I have
10 to use -9 option to kill to get X to die. Even after that, though, the
11 video and keyboard are still locked. The only way I know of to get them
12 back is to restart the system.
13
14 IIRC, it only happens when OOo is on the right screen, but I can start
15 oowriter2, put it on the right screen, and click file and it won't
16 always lock things up.
17
18 System info:
19 openoffice-bin-2.1.0
20 xorg-x11-7.1
21 xorg-server-1.1.1-r4 (VIDEO_CARDS="mga", INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse")
22 libXinerama-1.0.1
23 ctwm-3.7
24 Video card: Matrox G450
25 System starts up to a CLI login, not XDM
26
27 Anyone have any clue as to what is going on here? Is there a way I can
28 release the hold on my keyboard and/or display so that I can just get to
29 the console so that I can reissue "startx"?
32 -M
33
34 There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
35 Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list