From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: glibmm 2.20.1 emerge fails to compile
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 12:08:04
1 On 09/27/2009 09:38 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > I tried doing an upgrade (the usual emerge -auvND world), and
3 > it choked on glibmm 2.20.1. The compile failed the basic error
4 > seems to be this:
5 >
6 > generate_defs_glib.o: In function `main':
7 > generate_defs_glib.cc:(.text+0x6b): undefined reference to `std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::__ostream_insert<char, std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*, int)'
8 >
9 > I've done a revdep-rebuild to make sure things are consistent,
10 > and it says things are OK. Google doesn't seem to know that
11 > error message, and I couldn't find anything relevent at
12 > bugs.gentoo.org.
13 >
14 > The only thing I can think of is that it has to do with some
15 > libraries having been compiled with an older version of gcc,
16 > but I'm not sure how to check for that...
17
18 Those undefined references are supplied by libstdc++, so it looks like
19 you have a classic case of duelling library versions.
20
21 The error messages mention gcc-3.4.6, which is actually quite old now,
22 so perhaps you've switched to gcc-4.x.x now?
23
24 The fix is to go back and re-emerge all packages that linked against the
25 old libstdc++. One way to find them is to run fix_libtool_files.sh and
26 note which ones get fixed. You still need to re-emerge those packages,
27 though, if you're now using gcc-4.x
28
29 I would actually just grep through all the .la files for "3.4.6" (assuming
30 that's your *old* version of gcc) and re-emerge the packages that own those
31 files. Maybe someone else knows an easier way.