From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Blocked packages
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 00:42:17
1 On 22/05/2014 16:32, Zoltán Kócsi wrote:
2 > On Thu, 22 May 2014 15:42:09 +0200
3 > "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> if you run into issues like this, first try something like
6 >>
7 >> emerge -uDNav world
8 >>
9 >> (--update --deep --newuse --ask --verbose; note the "deep")
10 >> (afaik this is the recommended way to update your system anyway)
11 >>
12 >> If this doesnt help, you can try giving portage more time to
13 >> backtrack, add e.g. the following option (warning this may take a
14 >> while):
15 >>
16 >> --backtrack=1000
17 >
18 > Thanks, will do that.
19 >
20 > Is there a comprehensive manual about portage and the related tools?
21 > I mean one which explains how the whole thing works, what are atoms and
22 > sets and slots and masks; how dependencies work and how the magic USE
23 > keywords get translated to actual configure parameters, so basically
24 > the whole logic behind it? Then, with all that basic knowledge how
25 > emerge et al work on that info and what they actually do?
26 >
27 > As a developer probably it's all obvious if not trivial to you, but to
28 > the uninitiated it looks a bit of black magic. I went to the Wiki and
29 > went through the handbook, but I couldn't find anything which explained
30 > the actual concepts and implementation of the whole portage system,
31 > just practical snippets of actual tool usage rather than the
32 > foundations. Any pointers to the relevant literature would be most
33 > appreciated.
36 Portage man pages are fairly complete (maybe not so much for very new
37 features). The trick is to find the man pages :-)
38
39 equery files portage | grep /man/
40
41 These are the man pages I rate most useful (there are plenty more)
42
43 emerge(1)
44 portage(5)
45 ebuild(1)