From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Corrupt USB pen drive
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 15:59:37
1 On Thu, 17 May 2007 16:38:44 +0100
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thursday 17 May 2007 15:45, Dan Farrell wrote:
5 > > On Thu, 17 May 2007 12:36:25 +0100
6 > >
7 > > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >
9 > > >
10 > > > I tried to dd the boot sector so that I can look at it on my hard
11 > > > drive, but it cannot access /dev/sda. Is there anything that I
12 > > > can do with my Gentoo to recover the files on this USB?
13 > >
14 > > have you tried reading raw from the device like
15 > >
16 > > | dd if=/dev/sda of=sda.image
17 > >
18 > > ? That might do the recovery. How to get it out of the image is
19 > > the same problem but once the backup succeeds you can plug it into a
20 > > windows xp box and reformat, and you will probably end up with the
21 > > same partition structure as originally. Then you can try to read
22 > > the right part of the image out of the image, once you get the
23 > > numbers from fdisk on the newly formatted drive, and end up with an
24 > > image of sda1. From there you should be able to mount sda1 and
25 > > read out the data, if it isn't corrupted.
26 >
27 > Thanks Dan, as I said above I tried to extract the MBR out of it by
28 > running:
29 >
30 > dd if=/dev/sda of=/tmp/r1 bs=512
31 >
32 > But couldn't access it whatsoever.
33 >
34 > > I also am wondering what happened to the partition table. I bet
35 > > your coworker has a security-compromised box at home (oh, runs
36 > > windows? right...) At any rate, if the data is recoverable, it may
37 > > be possible to rebuild the partition table if you can find out
38 > > where the partition started and ended. People have done it before,
39 > > i've read online about it.
40 >
41 Hmm! Perhaps its broken.
42 --