From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] start-stop-daemon sets USER=root - expected behaviour?
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2008 12:27:14
1 2008/10/6 Erik Hahn <erik_hahn@×××.de>:
2 > No, it simply shouldn't change them, there's no reason to do that (to my
3 > knowledge).
4
5 If start-stop-daemon is executed by a normal user it should either not
6 change the user to root or deny the execution if the user is not root.
7 I think it is a big security issue if a normal user could start
8 arbitrary daemons with root privileges. So you should file a bug at
9 bugs.gentoo.org or better a new ticket at
10 roy.marples.name/projects/openrc/wiki.
11
12 I think only root should be able to execute start-stop-daemon and the
13 user should be changed with the proper command line switches. I
14 actually don't know if it is --chuid or --user as this has changed
15 between old baselayout and new openrc.
18 Regards,
19 Daniel