From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo-compatible wifi GUI?
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 14:46:45
1 Hi there,
2
3 The DHL man has just been & taken my MacBook away to have its ego
4 stroked by professionally-trained Apple engineers. I thought in the
5 meantime I might try living the Linux lifestyle for a few days & have
6 (literally) dusted off my (not literarily) black & white Thinkpad.
7
8 I've only used WEP so far, not wpa-supplicant, but I supposed I'd
9 better get the latter set up. So in light of that inexperience, please
10 forgive me if this is a dumb question, but are there any GUI wifi apps
11 that sit in the system tray, scan and let you connect to available
12 networks, and are also compatible with Gentoo's configuration files?
13
14 Last time I used wifi under Gentoo one added the network name &
15 encryption key to /etc/conf.d/net (or /etc/conf.d/wireless) and the
16 network scripts did the rest. Ideally, then, I'd like a GUI that
17 scanned for networks & added the details to the conf.d file. Is this a
18 reasonable expectation?
19
20 BTW: I prefer KDE, if this is relevant.
21
22 Stroller.