From: Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel@g.o>
To: gentoo-web-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-web-user] status of w-c
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:51:52
Hi Renat,

> 1) Show-stoppers: > > webapp.eclass calls emerge > Suggested solution (webapp-cleaner) posted to the bug. I plan to add it > to the tree in about a week unless there are objections.
Great, thanks for the fix.
> webapps gets uninstalled on > reinstall w/ USE="vhost" > Suggested solution (eclass fixes) posted to > . I would like to fix this ASAP > without waiting for w-c-1.60. Stuart and wrobel, please review and post > comments.
I am pretty certain that I can review it this week. I only gave it a short glance so far but this needs a closer look.
> webapp-config not installing > files with correct permissions > w-c removes +x on files copied to vhost, which breaks CGI apps. This > needs to be fixed in w-c. wrobel: any thoughts on the timeline?
I'll add that to my urgent todo-list and should be able to get it done in the next two weeks.
> 2) Needed functionality: > > allow webapp-config to install multiple > apps in the same directory > Needed for plugins etc
Would not really like to do that for the current w-c version. But I admit that I did not try to determine how much time it would take to implement it in the current version.
> 3) Needs closure: > > webapp.eclass: SLOT mishandling > I'm planning to remove the warning from the eclass tomorrow. Since > Halcy0n retired, we should check with QA again whether PVR is > acceptable. > > IMO, the rest can wait. Stuart and wrobel: I would very much appreciate your > comments on the above bugs and proposed solutions. Also, wrobel, it'd be great > to get your thoughts on the timeline for w-c-1.60.
Thanks for the effort. I know that I need some pushing concerning w-c at the moment. It is hard to determine the timeline on w-c-1.60. The majority of the basic structure is there and the stuff I have been doing in the last weeks was adding small bits and pieces of functionality back in. I added a short PLANNING.txt file but that does not contain too much information yet. I'd definitely like to get the configuration structure completed before I finish this document. At that point the class structure should be clear enough to continue together on the newer version. I hesitate to make promises on the timeline since that often turns out to be too optimistic. I'd definitely suggest we continue to use the 1.50.* line for a while and kill the most important bugs there. I'm definitely not going to give up on the w-c-1.60 version because I feel we need a better structure in order to be able to efficiently maintain the code. I do see the benefit of that in layman and would like to have a similar situation with w-c. Cheers Gunnar -- Gunnar Wrobel Gentoo Developer __________________C_o_n_t_a_c_t__________________ Mail: wrobel@g.o WWW: IRC: #gentoo-web at _________________________________________________ -- gentoo-web-user@g.o mailing list