From: Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel@g.o>
To: gentoo-web-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-web-user] Java Script Libraries
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:02:07
"Stuart Herbert" <Stuart.Herbert@×××××.com> writes:

>> While I agree that it is certainly easier to keep the packages as >> UPSTREAM bundles them, I'm not convinced that this is always a good >> idea. If the effort is small, I'd rather patch the package to use the >> standard libraries and send the patch upstream. Not only because it's >> simply bad programming style but also because it's easier to handle >> security this way. > > Best of luck with that ... but don't be surprised if UPSTREAM do not > adopt these patches. It's not always bad programming style - it's often > the only pragmatic thing to do. > > UPSTREAM bundle libraries because bitter experience (with poor ISP and > shared hosting solutions) has taught the PHP community that if you need > a third-party library and you don't bundle it, chances are that the > third-party library won't be available. > > (The PHP and PEAR community also have to accept a lot of the blame for > this state of affairs, by failing to provide an equivalent to CPAN from > day one).
Sure, it's absolutely reasonable to bundle the needed libraries so that they are always available even if the system does not provide them. But it is not very hard to avoid to hardwire these libs in your webapp :) This is the only thing I dislike. -- Gunnar Wrobel Gentoo Developer __________________C_o_n_t_a_c_t__________________ Mail: wrobel@g.o WWW: IRC: #gentoo-web at _________________________________________________ -- gentoo-web-user@g.o mailing list