From: Panard <panard@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-web-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-web-user] webapp-config protect behaviour
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 14:32:13
1 Hi,
2
3 I would like to discuss about current webapp-config behaviour concerning
4 protecting/drop user modifications on webapps.
5 (http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-437655-start-0-postdays-0-postorder-asc-highlight-.html)
6
7 Here is the current behaviour :
8
9 $ webapp-config -I -h localhost -d test/ma phpmyadmin 2.6.0
10 $ cd /var/www/localhost/htdocs/test/ma
11 $ echo 1 > new_file
12 $ echo 2 >> index.php
13 $ webapp-config -U -h localhost -d test/ma phpmyadmin 2.8.0_beta1
14 * Upgrading phpmyadmin-2.6.0 to phpmyadmin-2.8.0_beta1
15 * Installed by root on 2006-03-08 15:15:24
16 * Config files owned by 0:0
17 !cfgpro config.inc.php
18 !time index.php
19 !empty /var/www/localhost/cgi-bin
20 !empty /var/www/localhost/icons
21 clean
22
23 --- /var/www/localhost/htdocs/test/ma
24 * Creating required directories
25 * Linking in required files
26 * This can take several minutes for larger apps
27 * Files and directories installed
28 * Install completed - success
29 $ ls -A | grep '^\.'
30 .webapp
31 .webapp-phpmyadmin-2.8.0_beta1
32 $ ls new_file
33 new_file
36 => added files are keeped, but modified ones are simply overwritten.
37
38 I think that droping user modifications to a webapp is quite grave. There is
39 some reasons to modifify a webapp :
40 - bug fixes
41 - add some features, often about security, like adding verification code for
42 registrations forms...
43 - disabling some features, to prevent clients to use them
44 - ....
45
46 And if you want to upgrade to the latest version of this webapp, you will lose
47 all these changes!
48
49 I'm agree to the goal for after a webapp-config -U, your webapp is directly
50 functionnal.
51 But, I prefer waiting 3 minutes by doing etc-update and merging changes with
52 the new version,
53 than losing all my changes, temporaly block access to clients for security
54 reason, and redo all my changes if I found time and motivation to do my work
55 a second time....
56 I mean, erasing user modification would put the webapp in a 'non-functionnal'
57 state, and for a long time.... that's not the goal of a webapp installation
58 tool.
59
60 So why not use the CONFIG_PROTECT from make.conf to auto-protect server-owned
61 files?
62
63 Thanks,
64