From: Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel@g.o>
To: gentoo-web-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-web-user] Upstream requirements for web-apps
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:30:53
Hi Wendall!

> 1. Lack of developers to support packages.
I'm pretty new on the web-apps team so it's hard for me to really judge the past years but currently I do not have the impression that there is an extreme lack of developers on the team. Current number of open bugs is pretty low (thanks to Renat). I feel that our current discussion is more concerned with quality rather than man power. Both are certainly connected but I feel that the new overlay on Stuarts server also helps in getting valuable additional input from the outside. So I think the current question is more about what level of security we actually want to keep in the main tree.
> I have been trying to find the time to become a Gentoo dev for a while > now. Stuart was kind enough to offer mentoring me. However, I often feel > overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things I need to know that I won't > ever work with. I really have no need to know about compile issues with > php or apache, other than reporting bugs on them, to be able to support > a few web-apps. I have enough knowledge of several languages to have an > idea of the nature of a certain bug, but am more skilled with high level > scripting languages like perl, php, python, etc. However, I feel that > what I'm getting myself into isn't what I'd like to do at all. I am > fully qualified to maintain any of the current CMS systems in the tree. > I have a working knowledge of the systems, have even personally written > some of the code. However, to become a dev, I'd have to work with > packages I don't even use. Not a very good way to attract developers or > maintainers.
Hm, looks different from my perspective. My experience is rather recent since I joined the team two weeks ago. I'm also mainly developing in the P-league and barely know C. But this was not required at all. While the two quizzes needed some broader knowledge of portage related stuff it was actually useful to collect the answers to the questions and learn from that. It required no major studying though ;) It took quite a while until the whole process was finished but on the other hand I think this ensures that you don't get developers on the team that will leave two weeks later. And if you wrote ebuilds for two years it does not really matter if it takes some months to get on the team. So I'm not quite sure I understand what actually prevents you from joining the team.
> > Just the fact that webapp-config exists should explain my second point. > rant deleted ;)
Don't think it's a valid point to expect that portage should do what webapp-config does. There is certainly some overlap but there are also some important differences. Best regards Gunnar -- Gunnar Wrobel Gentoo Developer __________________C_o_n_t_a_c_t__________________ Mail: wrobel@g.o WWW: IRC: #gentoo-web at _________________________________________________