From: Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel@g.o>
To: gentoo-web-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-web-user] Upstream requirements for web-apps
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 23:30:53
1 Hi Wendall!
2
3 > 1. Lack of developers to support packages.
4
5 I'm pretty new on the web-apps team so it's hard for me to really
6 judge the past years but currently I do not have the impression that
7 there is an extreme lack of developers on the team. Current number of
8 open bugs is pretty low (thanks to Renat).
9
10 I feel that our current discussion is more concerned with quality
11 rather than man power. Both are certainly connected but I feel that
12 the new overlay on Stuarts server also helps in getting valuable
13 additional input from the outside.
14
15 So I think the current question is more about what level of security
16 we actually want to keep in the main tree.
17
18 > I have been trying to find the time to become a Gentoo dev for a while
19 > now. Stuart was kind enough to offer mentoring me. However, I often feel
20 > overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things I need to know that I won't
21 > ever work with. I really have no need to know about compile issues with
22 > php or apache, other than reporting bugs on them, to be able to support
23 > a few web-apps. I have enough knowledge of several languages to have an
24 > idea of the nature of a certain bug, but am more skilled with high level
25 > scripting languages like perl, php, python, etc. However, I feel that
26 > what I'm getting myself into isn't what I'd like to do at all. I am
27 > fully qualified to maintain any of the current CMS systems in the tree.
28 > I have a working knowledge of the systems, have even personally written
29 > some of the code. However, to become a dev, I'd have to work with
30 > packages I don't even use. Not a very good way to attract developers or
31 > maintainers.
32
33 Hm, looks different from my perspective. My experience is
34 rather recent since I joined the team two weeks ago. I'm also mainly
35 developing in the P-league and barely know C. But this was not
36 required at all. While the two quizzes needed some broader knowledge
37 of portage related stuff it was actually useful to collect the answers
38 to the questions and learn from that. It required no major studying
39 though ;)
40
41 It took quite a while until the whole process was finished but on the
42 other hand I think this ensures that you don't get developers on the
43 team that will leave two weeks later. And if you wrote ebuilds for two
44 years it does not really matter if it takes some months to get on the
45 team.
46
47 So I'm not quite sure I understand what actually prevents you from
48 joining the team.
51 > Just the fact that webapp-config exists should explain my second point.
52 > rant deleted ;)
53
54 Don't think it's a valid point to expect that portage should do what
55 webapp-config does. There is certainly some overlap but there are also
56 some important differences.
57
58 Best regards
59