From: Casey Allen Shobe <lists@×××××××××××××.com>
To: squirrelmail-devel@×××××××××××××××××.net
Cc: squirrelmail-i18n@×××××××××××××××××.net, gentoo-web-user@l.g.o, gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-web-user] Squirrelmail's i18n broken with PHP's mbstring enabled
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 09:48:53
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I've been working rather extensively trying to get all languages to work
4 properly on my system with squirrelmail.
5
6 I am using Gentoo, PHP 5.1.1, and Squirrelmail 1.4.6-release. For testing
7 simplicity, it is simply a stock release from the Squirrelmail website, with
8 all_locales added.
9
10 I have rebuilt PHP about 14 different ways trying to get things to work to no
11 avail - here's what I've determined:
12
13 Gentoo has an "nls" USE flag, which if used, makes the PHP package dependant
14 upon gettext, and enables building of both gettext and mbstring as shared
15 extensions for PHP.
18 If the "nls" USE flag is disabled, selecting another language in
19 Squirrelmail's Display Options works. However, if Japanese is selected,
20 warnings are shown about needing mbstring (although Japanese text *is*
21 shown), and mail cannot be viewed because of the errors, though a folder list
22 and mail index is shown, and one can browse the options pages, etc. all in
23 Japanese but with the warning at the top.
24
25 If the "nls" USE flag is enabled, selecting another language does absolutely
26 nothing, although the output encoding is changed to whatever is appropriate
27 for that language. Furthermore, if Japanese is selected, the subject lines
28 in the message index are all truncated shorter than normal, with characters
29 such as # and & shown before the '...'.
30
31 I have written a small test script (UTF-8 encoded) that verifies mbstring is
32 working:
33 <?php
34 ini_set ('mbstring.internal_encoding', 'UTF-8');
35 mb_http_output('ISO-2022-JP');
36 ob_start('mb_output_handler');
37 print 'This is a PHP file.';
38 print 'ログイン中メールをチェック';
39 ?>
40
41 I can successfully view this file in a web browser and verify that the
42 encoding is actually ISO-2022-JP.
45 I normally use the Hardened-PHP patch and a number of other USE flags, however
46 for the purposes of trying to get to the bottom of this, I built a PHP
47 instance with no USE flags whatsoever, and then enabled only what
48 Squirrelmail complained about needing - namely session and pcre support.
49 This made no difference.
52 I also have a hacked-up version of squirrelmail that's been made to use UTF-8
53 internally and as the output charset for all languages - it breaks in the
54 exact same way. While it does seem to work just fine, even for Japanese,
55 without the mbstring PHP extension, I've been told by somebody on the
56 squirrelmail-devel list that I need to use mbstring or there will be problems
57 - i.e. the line length on outbound messages will be wrong.
60 Please let me know any suggestions you may have, as I'd like to get this
61 working proper...
62
63 Cheers,
64 --