From: Wendall Cada <wendallc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-web-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-web-user] Upstream requirements for web-apps
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:19:20
Hi all,

Ok, here is the tenth rewrite of this email. Every time I write, it just
ends up being a rant about how many of the issues deal with two primary

1. Lack of developers to support packages.
2. Lack of some fundamental features in portage.

I'll address both of these from my perspective. Most of you probably
won't care, but here it goes anyhow.

I have been trying to find the time to become a Gentoo dev for a while
now. Stuart was kind enough to offer mentoring me. However, I often feel
overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things I need to know that I won't
ever work with. I really have no need to know about compile issues with
php or apache, other than reporting bugs on them, to be able to support
a few web-apps. I have enough knowledge of several languages to have an
idea of the nature of a certain bug, but am more skilled with high level
scripting languages like perl, php, python, etc. However, I feel that
what I'm getting myself into isn't what I'd like to do at all. I am
fully qualified to maintain any of the current CMS systems in the tree.
I have a working knowledge of the systems, have even personally written
some of the code. However, to become a dev, I'd have to work with
packages I don't even use. Not a very good way to attract developers or

Just the fact that webapp-config exists should explain my second point.
rant deleted ;)