From: Wendall Cada <wendallc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-web-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-web-user] Upstream requirements for web-apps
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 22:19:20
1 Hi all,
2
3 Ok, here is the tenth rewrite of this email. Every time I write, it just
4 ends up being a rant about how many of the issues deal with two primary
5 problems:
6
7 1. Lack of developers to support packages.
8 2. Lack of some fundamental features in portage.
11 I'll address both of these from my perspective. Most of you probably
12 won't care, but here it goes anyhow.
13
14 I have been trying to find the time to become a Gentoo dev for a while
15 now. Stuart was kind enough to offer mentoring me. However, I often feel
16 overwhelmed by the sheer amount of things I need to know that I won't
17 ever work with. I really have no need to know about compile issues with
18 php or apache, other than reporting bugs on them, to be able to support
19 a few web-apps. I have enough knowledge of several languages to have an
20 idea of the nature of a certain bug, but am more skilled with high level
21 scripting languages like perl, php, python, etc. However, I feel that
22 what I'm getting myself into isn't what I'd like to do at all. I am
23 fully qualified to maintain any of the current CMS systems in the tree.
24 I have a working knowledge of the systems, have even personally written
25 some of the code. However, to become a dev, I'd have to work with
26 packages I don't even use. Not a very good way to attract developers or
27 maintainers.
28
29 Just the fact that webapp-config exists should explain my second point.
30 rant deleted ;)
31
32 Wendall
35 gentoo-web-user@g.o mailing list