From: "josé Alberto Suárez López" <bass@g.o>
To: gnap-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gnap-dev] Some patches for gnap
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 07:13:31
1 El vie, 06-07-2007 a las 18:08 +0300, Philipp Riegger escribió:
2 > josé Alberto Suárez López wrote:
3 >
4 > > kingtaco told me infra have the new machine, so i hope to have our new
5 > > home soon, so all of us can use the repo to work together and fast.
6 >
7 > Nice. With this change, are you also switching to svn or soemthing like
8 > that or changing the gnap repository layout? Making a difference between
9 > gnap_make and the other scripts seems rather artificial, since they are
10 > sharing code now.
11
12 we will change to svn, the layout is not determined yet, Who want to be
13 the first to propose the layout? :)
14
15 > >> Note:
16 > >> 1) There are 2 gnap_shared.sh so far, one in the src and one in the toos
17 > >> directory of the gnap svn tree. This should maybe be changed...
18 > >
19 > > shoudl be
20 >
21 > Where do you want to have it?
22
23 as you own :)
24
25 [...]
26
27 > > i like the idea, work on it and tell me. I prefer as less config files
28 > > to edit better.
29 >
30 > The easiest way to implement this would be:
31 >
32 > We use ${:-} or ${:=} (i have to understand the difference between them)
33 > for default parameters, parse the command line for the first time only
34 > extracting parameters concerning external config files or -h, parse theese
35 > config files (we have them or default config files), order will be
36 > common.conf and then catalyst.conf (so common.conf can overwrite the
37 > variable saying where to find catalyst.conf), we parse the command line
38 > options again and use all the info given there to set/overwrite variables.
39 >
40 > Advantages:
41 > - No additional variables needed
42 > - Quite easy change
43 > - Should give us what we want
44 > - No need for a config file parser
45 >
46 > Disadvantages:
47 > - Well... common.conf and catalyst.conf can overwrite lots of things, we
48 > never check which config file is allowed to overwrite what. But if
49 > somebody does strange things there, it's not our fault, i think
50
51 seem well to me, who thinks the other zombies in the list?
52
53 [...]
54
55 > >> 3) gnap_make feature: improved overlay handling
56 >
57 > [...]
58 >
59 > > To improve is ever good :)
60 >
61 > An alternative would be to introduce overlay handling to catalyst, but i
62 > think, we don't want that. :-)
63
64 sure :P
65
66 > >> 4) some small stuff
67 > >>
68 > >> At the moment, if there is a choice (Overwrite/Append, Yes/No) only one
69 > >> possibility is checked and the other is assumed, if the one is not
70 > >> given.
71 > >> I'd like to change this to something like "It is asked in a loop until a
72 > >> valid option is given."
73
74 ok, is not a major change
75
76 > >> There is a function gwarn, writes to stderr. It is used in some places
77 > >> where ginfo would make more sence, if it would exist. I'd like to
78 > >> implement and use this.
79 > >
80 > > for example?
81 >
82 > gwarn 'The following targets will be called:'
83 > gwarn "${TARGETLIST}"
84
85 ok implement ginfo.
86
87 > >> That's all i wanted to say about the gnap_scripts at the moment.
88 > >
89 > > you say a lot :)
90 >
91 > Hmm... is that good or bad? :)
92
93 good :P
96 > > nice job
97 >
98 > Thanks, unfortunately not what i applied for. :-(
99 >
100 > See you,
101 > Philipp
104 gnap-dev@g.o mailing list